RAF planes conduct major training exercise

A large host of military planes took to the skies over Norwich on the 23rd of October as part of an essential training exercise.

The operation, called Exercise Crimson Warrior, included F-35 Lightning jets from the 617 Squadron at RAF Marham, Typhoon fighters from RAF Lakenheath, a group of F15s from Lakenheath belonging to the US Air Force, the United States Marine Corps VMFA-211 Squadron which arrived at the beginning of September, and a Voyager flying tanker.

Commander Mark Sparrow of the 617 Squadron said, “The last few months have seen a period of intensive training for the squadron, having conducted group exercises and Exercise Joint Warrior from HMS Queen Elizabeth alongside our United States Marine Corps and NATO colleagues.

“We are looking forward to putting the skills and qualifications that we have gained to the test in Exercise Crimson Warrior to show that we are ready to deploy on next year.”

Earlier this year another air force gave exercise gave rise to conjecture on social media when Norwich residents heard plane overhead in the mid-afternoon on the 28th of August.

The RAF soon confirmed that the plane was a Boeing C-17 Globemaster III that had left from Brize Norton in Oxfordshire at around 3pm. Witnesses saw it pass over Dereham and circling around Norwich.

This latest exercise has been described as “high end training against realistic threats and scenarios,” and will involve increased flights in the Norfolk region for two weeks.

24/11/2020

Jamie Hose

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031