Rag’n’Bone Man LCR Concert Review, 1 November 2021

With the release of his 2016 hit-single Human, and the record-breaking launch of his 4x Platinum debut studio album of the same title, the multi-Brit award-winning artist Rag’n’Bone Man has established himself as one of Britain’s most successful contemporary Pop artists of the decade. 

On Monday 1 November, Rag’n’Bone Man’s Life by Misadventure 2021 UK Tour arrived at UEA’s LCR. Performing alongside Rag’n’Bone Man, the entertaining opening acts included alternative Pop singer-songwriter Max White as well as Pop and Indie singer-songwriter Emily Burns who both did a wonderful job of building up the crowd’s excitement.

While Rag’n’Bone Man’s new album Life By Misadventure offers a raw, honest, deep, and personal musical exploration of self-vulnerability, heart-break, life hardships and emotional struggles. The album also offers a new energy and sense of purpose with a resolution of self-acceptance. With the influence of Nashville music, Rag’n’Bone Man demonstrates exquisite musicianship through the heart and soul of this album – and this was only magnified during his live performance. 

On stage, you could visibly witness the joy the band experienced in performing together as they all demonstrated love and appreciation for their musical family, creating an ecstatic energy that delighted the audience. The magnificent strength and body of Rag’n’Bone Man’s live voice absorbed everyone into the music as his heartfelt, lyrical singing perfectly evoked every essence of songful emotion, casting him as an outstanding live performer as well as a truly talented musical artist. Sharing the spotlight with his band and letting every star shine, the performance included epic guitar, keyboard, trumpet, and back-up singer solos. Truly emphasising the restless energy and drive that the performers embodied together as a band.

Between songs, Rag’n’Bone Man charmed the audience with his unique humour, genuine and joyful spirit, and down-to-earth personality – making the concert ever more enjoyable. During the performance, he managed the crowd expertly, instilling them with excitement and buzz as they played each song. He encouraged the audience to clap along, while in between the songs he playfully jested alongside the hecklers. Sweetly introducing his father on stage allowed him to play an acoustic arrangement for the amused crowd, Rag’n’Bone Man exposed his kind and caring heart outside of the musical bounds of his lyrics. Convincing the audience to celebrate his back-up singer’s birthday, applaud the band, technicians and LCR staff at the end of the performance for their hard work, and when the audience clapped for an encore (as though it were the unspoken promise of every gig) the performers reappeared to play a few final hits. 

With a thundering bass and beat thrumming through the crowd’s chests, colourful bursting beams of light dazzling every surface of the LCR, and an exciting ensemble of instruments supporting Rag’n’Bone Man’s bluesy soulful vocals as they boomed from centre-stage, the crowd was left uplifted and jubilantly entertained.

07/12/2021

Lily Boag

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31