The Raising and Giving (RAG) society create an annual naked calendar to raise money for a variety of local, national and international charities, which is running for its fourth year. The creation of the calendar was inspired by the popular film and theatre show, ‘Calendar girls’. The calendar aims to promote body positivity in addition to bringing groups of people together, all in aid of charity. 

The calendar is popular amongst sports clubs, but societies take a little more convincing to take part. RAG told us that they do not receive any negative comments about the calendar, and that everyone who takes part in the calendar enjoys doing so. Those who feature in the calendar often find that their friends are supportive too. Lots of students purchase the calendar as a way of showing their support, and are especially inclined to do so because the proceeds go to charity. 

Although there is not a vast amount of stigma surrounding the calendar, some societies do not take part. For example, students studying nursing or pharmacy refrain from it due to the public facing element of their courses. Which societies and clubs take part in the calendar is largely dependent on how the committee feels about it, particularly the society’s president. It appears the involvement from committee members encourages others to take the plunge and get involved. 

Societies such as Livewire, rugby, and most of the popular sports clubs get involved and strike a pose for the calendar. RAG also hold extended deadlines for those who want to get involved but need a little longer to pull a group of keen students together – this ensures that everyone who wants to can have a hand in raising money for charity.

It will be available to purchase around the 9th December, costing £5. Be warned the club calendar often sells out, with the club and society mixed calendar selling quickly. The Raising and Giving society often make large amounts of money for their chosen charities. They have a history of raising between £150-500 each year.  

The chosen three charities this year are, One Water, The Children’s Trust and Kick Sergeant – the number of charities ensures the society raises money for a variety of causes and increases their outreach from local,to national and international.

RAG’s Publicity and Marketing officer Jodie Clark stated, “It’s an awesome idea as it is a spirited way to raise money for some great charities and for all different societies and clubs to come together which wouldn’t always happen.” 

RAG’s President, Aamna Khan revealed, “A lot of people ask what Raising and Giving or RAG are, or what they do and truthfully when I first started university I didn’t have much of a clue, nevertheless I was curious. Thankfully Harriet, our current secretary and former president gave me the low down and now RAG are stuck with me!

Unlike other charity societies, Raising and Giving is unique in that we work with multiple and varied charity partners on a local, national and international level to raise awareness through fundraising and volunteering opportunities. We also collaborate with individual UEA students who want to support and fundraise for their own causes, giving them a platform for them to raise awareness for something they feel strongly about and want to make an impact themselves! RAG is committed, like all the dedicated charities at UEA, to making a positive difference no matter how small. It does what it says on the tin and then some.  

From Quiz and Chips to hosting massive challenges and events such as the Kilimanjaro trek, and UEA’s Got Talent, RAG does it all. We are happy to announce our soon-to-be released and highly anticipated 2020 Naked Calendar. A RAG favourite and tradition all societies and clubs love to take part in. Our fantastic Publicity, Design and Marketing Leader Jodie Clark has been taking the lead in liaising with everyone who signed up and we have collated nearly all the photos/consensual but tasteful nudes. Last thing really to do is get our pictures done! Pre-orders will be £4 and calendars will later be sold for £5!

The funds raised from Naked Calendar sales and all of our RAG fundraising events will be equally divided and donated to our three chosen charity partners this academic year. CLIC Sargent, our local charity partner works tirelessly with young people diagnosed and living with cancer. A cause that is personal to me, being a cancer survivor myself. The Children’s Trust, the UK’s leading national charity, facilitates the rehabilitation of children with brain injuries and neuro-disabilities by providing residential and community based rehab facilities for children and respite for their families. And finally, our international charity partner, The One Foundation, has one goal and that is to give everyone access to clean safe water by establishing sustainable wash and water services in the poorest communities in developing countries. 

All great and well deserved causes! I have got a fantastic committee who have already been smashing it out of the park with the hard work they have put in this semester to make an impact. I couldn’t ask for a better group of people to work with. So, this a thank you from me to them!”