So you’d like to dress like a fashionable Parisian?

Paris is brimming with hidden second hand stores; the difficulty lies in knowing exactly where to look. A useful first point of call is the website www.paristopten.com which lists their top 10 second-hand and vintage clothing stores in Paris. Most of the stores listed are ideally located in the heart of Paris and close to the Metro.

Number five on their list is Guerrisol, a very large store filled from front to back with sartorial treasures at very cheap prices. In line with the website review I agree that “you’ll need patience to find ‘the’ item of your dreams!” You will find two store fronts on Avenue de Clichy, one main store and one additional store just for the men. The Avenue takes its name from the closest station, Place de Clichy, on the Metro lines 2 and 13. In the main store you can find great bargains, such as skinny-cut Dolce & Gabbana jeans, an oriental style Gucci skirt or even a faux fur Russian style hat all for a mere €5 each. The list is as long as your patience!

The offerings are equally as appealing for the men. You may find fitted dinner jackets for €5, heavily discounted Zara shirts and a colourful collection of ties to go with them. With only minor exceptions, the majority of the collection is clean and of excellent quality.

Other one-off gems can be found around Barbès-Rochechouart station on the Metro line 2. Try not to be dissuaded by the swarm of unlicensed dealers and the knowing officers manning the station entrance; try to think of it as cultural zest. One particular shoe store just shy of Le boulevard de Rochechouart stocks suede wedge boots for €10.50 and suede pumps for just €5.

There is only one thing left in order to fake being Parisian and that is simply to wear the attitude!