Lifestyle, Travel

Re-discovering The City of Stories

With a population of just over 132,500 (2011 census), Norwich is a city with nooks and crannies dotted throughout its roads and cobbled streets.

Offering a range of eateries and shops, Norwich never fails to express its undeniable uniqueness. After living in Norwich for a year, I’m still finding new places that make me love this city even more.

For inspiration on where to eat and drink I highly recommend checking out places like The Black Horse, Jive, Haggle, and Mr Postles’ Apothecary. After narrowing it down I think these are the top four places to check off of your list first!

The Black Horse is your classic English pub. Good food, good drinks, and offers 10% off for students and NHS staff. Located on Earlham road, next to the plantation garden, the outside space offers great social vibes with its hanging bulb lights and seasonal decor. It’s a real, ‘you can’t go wrong’ sort of place.

Then there’s Jive, a Mexican restaurant on Exchange street in the centre of town. If you like burritos then this is the place for you as Jive’s are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.  It’s a perfect lunch spot where you can spend the afternoon gazing out the window, watching the bustle of the market below.

Haggle, the Middle Eastern restaurant on St Benedicts Street, offers a variety of mezes and hot dishes in a multi floored building decorated to perfection. Haggle gives a real sense of international dining without the hassle of travelling across the world. A brilliant place to visit for an alternative eating out experience than Britain’s more traditional restaurants.

Finally on the list of eating and drinking is Mr Postles’ Apothecary. Situated on the corner of Upper King Street near Tombland, this is a fun potion-filled bar. Cocktails average at around £8.50 and are made in front of you by professional bar staff.  I especially recommend the Long Island iced tea, with dry ice pouring over the edges and gliding off the table.

Other than satisfying your taste buds, I suggest taking a stroll around the lanes where you’ll come across places like Elm. A super innovative shop supplying products like home decor, stationary, and cards as well as an impressive array of plants at very reasonable prices. Often displayed outside, a best seller of theirs is the mimosa pudica plant- touch it and see what happens!

It’s also worth taking a visit to St Gregory’s church, off Pottergate. Its exterior is what you would expect of a traditional English church, but when you cross the threshold it turns into an impressive antique collectable shop. Including jewellery, vinyl records, and clothes, there’s plenty of knick-knacks to take a look at.

I also recommend getting to know (or re-acquainted) with Norwich by just walking around. Wandering down the various lanes and streets will often lead you somewhere new and unexpected. Especially areas like St Andrews, where the bridge over the river and the playhouse are secretly tucked away in the quaint, botanical pocket of St George’s Green.

Norwich is a vibrant, creative city that has plenty to offer to students old and new. After a year of the pandemic, it’s important now more than ever that we appreciate what our cities provide. So, get out and see what you discover!

05/10/2021

Phoebe Lucas

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031