Recipe: Yummy honey flapjacks

These delicious flapjack bars are perfect on-the-go and are filled with healthy fruits and fibre. The honey acts to reduce the refined sugar content, and gives a delicious taste and golden colour.

Ingredients:

150g unsalted butter

150g Demerara sugar

150g honey

200g porridge oats

Plus dried fruit or nuts of your choice. You can make the flapjacks as fruity or nutty as you like, so add as much as you fancy. I like dried cranberries and apricots in mine, or even some crystallised ginger. Almond flakes work well with the chewy texture, too.

Equipment:

Small saucepan

Wooden spoon

20 x 20 cm square tin

Method:

Put butter, sugar and honey in your saucepan, and place over a medium heat, until the sugar has dissolved and the ingredients have melted together. Be careful not to burn the mixture as it will make your flapjacks bitter.

Remove from the heat and stir in your fruit, nuts and oats.

Spoon the mixture into your greased tin, and flatten with the back of a spoon. Once level, put into the oven at 180 degrees, or gas mark 4 for 15-20 minutes. You want the sugar to have caramelised around the edges, and the top to be golden brown, but the middle should still be chewy and soft.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Then, turn out from the tin and slice into bars. These are perfect for a packed lunch or a treat between lectures, and with the energy release of the sugar, honey, fruits and oats you’ll stay fuller for longer, while avoiding refined cakes and biscuits.

20/03/2017

LillieColes

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930