Record number of medals for UEA at BUCS

UEA sent seven of its sports teams off to compete in Sheffield over the weekend of the 15th February.

Students represented the university in BUCS Nationals for Athletics, Badminton, Climbing, Fencing, Judo, Karate and Swimming.

The various teams won five medals across all the sports, which pitted them against the country’s best young athletes.

Elliot Dronfield took a bronze medal in the Under 75kg Karate; Prince Reid took a bronze in the Ambulant LJ; Pedro Antunes came third in the Under 55kg Judo; Jordann French also came third in the Under 66kg Judo, Kyu Grade, and Athena Yu took bronze in Karate, fighting in the Intermediate Individual Kata category.

The weekend was a record-breaking turn in UEA’s sporting fortunes, this being the largest medal haul in the university’s history at BUCS.

Many more athletes made it through to the respective finals for their events.

Three of UEA’s fencers made it into the final 32: Charlotte Slater (Epee), Kiron Austin (Foil) and Tin Chen (Sabre).

Prince Reid came in fourth in the Ambulant 60m, and in the long jump, Nathan Protheroe made the final. Both Hannah Brown, and Lucy Hope made the semi-finals in the 400m and 200m respectively.

The teams have been congratulated by UEA Sport on their performances. Towards the end of this month, BUCS will take a turn towards some more extreme sports, with the Snowsports scheduled to take place on the 26th in Milton Keynes, and with the Sailing Team Racing due to take place from February 29th until March 1st.

25/02/2020

Jamie Hose

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930