Arts, Books, Venue

Rediscovered the world of reading

I have adored reading for as long as I can remember. As one of my favourite pastimes, I love getting lost in fictional worlds and fantastic writing for days on end. However, last year, my love for books was pushed aside in favour of deadlines, days out and discussing reading instead of actually reading. I codified in a Concrete article in January 2019 I was aiming to read 52 books that year, one per week. Instead, I read a grand total of one. I know, I am judging myself too.

Isolation and lockdown, however, as weird as it is to say, is the best thing that could have happened to me in terms of my reading habits. I am isolating at home, where all of my favourite books of all time live, and just being surrounded by them makes me happy and inspired.

I am also looking at my unread books and am beyond excited to devour them, and I long for the days post-dissertation-submission, when I can read all day, immersing myself in a world to escape the apocalyptic reality we are currently enduring.

At the time of writing this, I have read six books in April so far, which is remarkable given my statistics from last year, including finding my new favourite book; The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Everyone must read this, no questions, no exceptions. It is phenomenal. There is nothing quite like finding a new favourite book, and this does wonders for inspiring more reading. Finding a new favourite makes you want this feeling again and again, so I am reading more and more in search of a story to match it (or beat it?).

Because of all of this, I am now in the reading zone with no end in sight, so if you have recommendations, send them my way! 

05/05/2020

Sam Hewitson

Sam Hewitson

Travel Editor - 2019/20

Editor-In-Chief - 2020/21