Seeing a much-loved TV show saved from cancellation at the last moment would normally be considered a miracle. However, in the case of this Marvel Cinematic Universe spin-off, the unexpected continuation was a cause for concern. When the prior series was wrapped up in such a well-crafted and conclusive manner, it became difficult to picture where things could go from here. Clearly this was something the writers struggled with too. Series 6 suffers not only from feeling so tacked on, but also from its shortened episode length. This wouldn’t be such a problem if the pacing was adjusted for a shorter runtime, but instead three quarters of that time is dedicated to slowly establishing, and failing to develop, new plot threads and characters. On the brighter side, the show has received a long-awaited budget increase, allowing its cast a refreshing escape from the recycled hallways which plagued the last series, but the visuals are a superficial polish to what remains a fundamentally weak display. Few TV dramas get the chance to finish on such a high note and, unless the seventh and (seemingly) final series pulls off some incredible feats of storytelling, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. may have missed that chance.