Music, OldVenue

Review: Coasts Live

Opening to a half empty room at The Waterfront can be very intimidating for an unheard of support band. Dive In, a four piece electro-pop band from Glastonbury, opened their first ever set in Norwich with their title track off their new EP, Change In The Weather. At first they appeared to be just another water-themed indie band (of which there are many), however after hearing lead singer, Matthew Guttridge’s unusually high voice (think, Kellin Quinn from Sleeping With Sirens in an indie electro-pop phase) and their super-upbeat anthemic choruses, they are clearly something a little bit more.

The second support, The Hunna, took to the stage and made an incredibly striking impression. The Hertfordshire four piece spent an entire year shut off from the world in order to perfect their sound, and it has clearly paid off. Vocalist Ryan has an outstanding voice which echoes a strange mix of Kurt Cobain and James Bay, which is complimented by the band’s guitar-driven anthems and youthful energy. After playing their fifth song ‘The World Is Ours Tonight’ Ryan humbly muttered something along the lines of ‘…which it really is.’ It is refreshing to see a new band so confident in their own sound. The Hunna received a very warm reception from the crowd as they closed the set with their debut single “Bonfire.”

From the moment Coasts took to the stage, they captured the entire room with their bouncy indie pop hooks and catchy lyrics. The band played two new songs from their debut album which is due out in January, the first being ‘You’ which was released as a single on the same day as the gig. Another new song, ‘Wolves’ was played in memory to Jasper – Norwich drummer Ben’s late cat.

Lead singer Chris Caines energetically leaped around on the stage so much throughout the set that he announced after playing ‘A Rush of Blood’, that “this stage is falling apart under our very feet.” The band’s endless amounts of live energy and their unquestionable knack for writing songs with exciting build ups to huge catchy choruses, is what has set them far ahead of other bands in the same genre over the past year. Caines proudly announced that ‘Tonight’ was featured on the game FIFA 16 and that the band will be back in Norwich next year. Coasts closed the evening with their hit song ‘Oceans’ which engulfed the entire room in the moment, with everybody jumping, clapping and singing their hearts out.

After the show, drummer Ben had a few words to say about performing in his hometown: “It’s great playing in Norwich, it’s a real homecoming as all of my family and friends are here. It’s been a great memory for my dead cat too. Norwich is the best place in the world, I even like Great Yarmouth!”

03/11/2015

nataliecole

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930