Film, OldVenue

Review: Paranomal Activity 3

Paranormal Activity 3: The prequel to the prequel. Before this film, I never imagined something like this could be done. But don’t let that put you off, this film isn’t half bad. First off, it’s scary, and I really mean that: one viewer screamed and jumped out of his seat at one point. But it’s not as scary as it could be.

Sure, the scares are big, but there is no slow build up of suspense and fear, rising into a horrific crescendo, as in the first Paranormal Activity. It all comes big and it all comes fast. And I think that’s a shame. It makes what would be frightening less so, it becomes one sudden appearance after another; it’s scary, but it’s predictable.

One impressive element, however, was the use of the camera. For example, one scene involves a camera rotating, showing two halves of a room. Whilst the audience sees ordinary goings on in one half, as the camera slowly pans left, something more sinister is revealed on the other. When the camera pans away again, a charachter is cleaning, oblivious to what the audience has witnessed. Now that’s chilling.

08/11/2011

alexdobrik

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930