Arts, OldVenue

SAVORR IX – review

As his final year at Norwich University College of the Arts neared its end, Henry Jackson Newcomb noticed his fellow students had practically ceased to make art. With less deadlines commanding “Make art now” it seemed as though there was not any real reason to create.

Henry Jackson Newcomb – Delacroix’s Figs

This lack of inspiration encouraged Newcomb to launch SAVORR, a non-profit project which has hosted nine exhibitions since founded last June. Newcomb’s SAVORR was inspired by 36 Hours, a 1978 exhibition in Washington D.C that encouraged anyone and everyone to hang up their artwork for 36 hours.

Unlike other venues which only accept art that fits their business model or artistic style, SAVORR attempts to exhibit all the work sent to them.

This rings true of SAVORR’s latest exhibition at the Samson and Hercules House where an eclectic mix of artwork was displayed last week.

Kyle Gregg, this month’s featured artist, focuses on repetitive free hand spirals and geometric patterns. “We pick people who we feel could use a little help to be our featured artist,” Newcomb said.

“Kyle Gregg does really well. But you have to tell him to do something.”

Kyle Gregg’s work for SAVORR

It is SAVORR’s evening events that have developed a following. As part of SAVORR IX, for instance, Samson and Hercules hosted performances, film screenings, and semiotics lectures in an attempt to bring together the artistic community in Norwich. Indeed, the event opened on the same evening as exhibitions at Outpost, again, signalling an attempt to create a community feeling to the project.

Visiting the exhibition the day after the launch night, you can see signs of what went down the night before. The soaking wet desk, for example, was part of Chris Braizer’s performance where he rolled ice across the table for 20 minutes until it melted. His work deals largely with time, a theme which ran throughout the whole exhibition, in fact.

In April 2013, Newcomb plans to host an exhibition for SAVORR’s featured artists as well as to release a publication documenting the events.

15/11/2012

hollymcdede When Holly J moved from Oakland, California to Norwich, the headlines changed dramatically from stories like “Cannabis patients forced to hide behind closed doors!” and “Interesting things are happening all the time!” to headlines like “Firefighters rescue cat stuck in tree." Since then, she has attempted to prove that Norfolk can be interesting (really!) through launching her own podcast called the Norfolk Storytelling Project. And, now, through the glorious Venue.

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031