Music, Venue

REVIEW: The Calls – Fall Inside Again

With the release of their EP Fall Inside Again, Leeds trio The Calls combined three previously released tracks with a pair of new ones. You can see the video to ‘I Should’ve Known,’ one of the new tracks, below.

The EP’s opener, the two-thirds title track ‘Fall Inside’ is an upbeat start to the album, in spite of vocalist and songwriter Tom Fuller’s characteristically cryptic lyricism. Psychedelic shimmers pepper the track, combining perfectly with the smoothness of bassist Marcell Hasslewood’s performance.

The track’s breakdown at the end is highlighted with the distant, echoing guitar work of Will Johnson, a primarily visual artist who didn’t pick up a guitar until joining the band– a tale I find hard to believe given the exceptional nature of his performances throughout the EP.

‘I Should’ve Known,’ with its shoegaze crossed with modern indie sound, is another highlight. Flashes of Oasis come through in Fuller’s performance here, but the effects on his voice– melding it into the instrumental– make for a far more cohesive and dreamier track.

The closing track, ‘A Change Is Gonna Come Around Here’ is the EP’s longest track at six minutes. Fuller’s tone varies throughout here, with some verses sung in a strange, mocking way, with introspective lyrics typical of the EP, but he returns to a voice that melts pleasantly into the rest of the band during the chorus.

For fans of shoegaze acts from decades past such as My Bloody Valentine or Slowdive, a lot of boxes are ticked with this release, and fans of neo-psychedelic acts such as Tame Impala will find a great listen as well. The Calls have put together a pleasing EP–I’m excited to see them take their sound a step further if they release an LP in the future!

Fall Inside Again is available on CD via Bandcamp and through all digital platforms including Spotify, Apple and Tidal. Be sure to support them!

(Featured image: The Calls)

24/11/2020

Jack Oxford

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031