Film, OldVenue

Review: The Hunger Games

Expectation surrounding the book-to-screen adaption has not disappointed audiences. In contrast, having read the book sets you at a greater advantage, for at times plot intricacies can be hard to follow.

The story is centred on Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence), who has taken on the pressures of the role admirably and performs exceptionally well. After North America is destroyed by war and famine, the Capitol renames the continent Panem, and divides the land into districts. Each year, two tributes from each district are chosen at random and forced to compete in a specially created arena which is broadcast to the people as a reminder of the Capitol’s power. To save her sister, Katniss offers herself as District 12’s volunteer, and enters an arena where only one of the 24 tributes can survive. Think Battle Royale meets Big Brother.

Importantly, don’t go before 8pm or you will be ambushed by hundreds of 16 years olds swooning over the characters Peeta and Gale. This is, after all, a film targeted at teenagers, which does send a rather bizarre message when they all start butchering each other in the arena.

31/03/2012

rachelgreenetaylor

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031