TV, Venue

Review: The Out-laws

Gozin (The Creator): “I didn’t mean to write a comedy, it just turned out funny in a dark and disturbing way”.

Over the summer there was an abundance of new TV shows. But one for me stood out amongst the rest, the Belgian noir series: The Out-Laws (or The Clan as it’s known in Belgium). The massively successful series from the Belgian production house, Caviar, is now available on More4. Created by Malin-Sarah Gozin and superbly directed by Kaat Beels and Nathalie Basteyns, it’s easy to see how it took the entire Flemish region by storm. From the intriguing plot lines that keep you guessing, to the tense, often comedic scenes, it’s a sure bet to keep you entertained. With an all-star cast including Barbara Sarafian, Geert Van Rampelberg, Maaike Neuville, Kristine Van Pellicom, Ruth Becquart and the brilliant Dirk Roofthooft.

The drama revolves around Roofthooft’s character, the despicable Jean-Claude Delcorps. The opening scene shows a number of oddball characters attending Jean-Claude’s funeral in the small town of Vredegem. Through a series of flashbacks we begin to see why various people would want him dead. He torments everyone, especially those closest to him for his own gratification. Toying with their emotions and lives. One of the five Goethals sisters is married to Jean-Claude. After seeing how their beloved sister is turning into a timid housewife and suffocating from his intolerable behaviour, the four sisters resolve to kill him and dark hilarity proceeds. Their plans do not always work out as they had hoped, at times leaving you yelling at the screen. Iuzzolino of Walter Presents, the company who brought us this show, said: “You’ll just want to walk into the screen and kill him yourself.”

Meanwhile in present time, two insurance investigators (the Dewitts) are attempting to uncover some suspicious activity surrounding Delcorps death, so as to not bankrupt their family firm by paying out on his life insurance. A game of cat and mouse ensues, with plenty of surprises and moments for reflection.

I couldn’t more highly recommend The Out-Laws. It has all the workings of a masterpiece and if you have been looking for something a little different to watch from all the other US TV it’d be well worth your time to give this series a look in.

20/10/2016

lucindaswain

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3