TV

Review: You – Series 3

October 15th marked the day Netflix released the much awaited third season of You. The series once again follows Joe Goldberg, the loveable psychopath played by Penn Badgley, as he becomes transfixed by yet another love interest.

The narrative is told from both Joe and Love Goldberg (Victoria Pedretti), as they navigate suburban life with their new baby, Henry, in the fictional town of Madre Linda, the home of seemingly perfect families. As Madre Linda’s newest residents devour the American Dream-like town, their tendencies are made all the more eerie by the new distinctive location the show is set in.

However, out of all of You’s seasons, this one has been my least favourite, of course, I thoroughly enjoyed binge-watching it, but it didn’t have the same feel of seasons 1 and 2. The ending of this season felt quite rushed and unnecessary to much of the fanbase, but some say the fast-paced ending obliges with the thriller genre.

Nonetheless, this season’s cast has been the most diverse thus far, yet there was only one likeable character that didn’t seem to irritate me at any point: Marienne, Joe’s newest obsession. Not only is Tati Gabrielle’s performance as Marienne one of the best in this series, but the character also is an interesting contrast to Joe’s previous romantic interests, Beck and Love. Whether intentional or not, the You creators seemed to let the power lay in the characters played by people of colour’s hands, not just Marienne, but the local ‘yummy mummy’, Sherry Conrad, too.

For me this show is becoming more repetitive and is losing that spark that fascinated viewers upon the premiere of season 1 in 2018, but that’s the whole appeal of the show, right? Season 4 has already been announced, but many fans are asking: do we really need another season?

16/11/2021

Sienna Norris

November 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930