TV

Richard Osman Quits Pointless

While some might recall The Chase, Mastermind, or even University Challenge as their favourite TV quiz show, my go-to on a weekday afternoon is Pointless. 

If you are unaware of this staple on the BBC, the premise of the show is simple: come up with the most obscure answer possible. Over a thousand episodes have been aired since 2009, which reflects its success.

The main reason for its popularity is the charm of its hosts: Alexander Armstrong, and particularly, Richard Osman, who creatively came up with the format for the TV hit. While Armstrong greets and asks interesting questions to the guest contestants, Osman sits beside at a desk, offering additional trivia and fun facts after each round. He’s warm and witty, and there aren’t many presenters out there who would break the fourth wall on set to compliment the viewers if they got the answer right at home. 

In recent news, it has been announced that after 13 years of co-presenting, Osman will be moving on from the show to do other exciting things. He will be continuing as host for House of Games, but most importantly, he will be focusing on his career as a crime fiction writer, having already written two best-selling novels, The Thursday Murder Club and The Man Who Died Twice. Armstrong lovingly said in a statement: “Daytime television’s loss is international best-selling crime fiction’s gain. I say that like it’s a consolation – I’m going to miss the big man next to me Monday to Friday.”So, how will the Osman shaped hole in our hearts be replaced at Pointless? More details will be announced, but it’s confirmed the show will have a rotation of guest co-presenters alongside Armstrong. The BBC show has lost a great personality, but I look forward to seeing who they choose next.

03/05/2022

Laura Patterson

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031