Fashion, OldVenue

S.O.S – Save Our Skin

We would all love to have perfect glowing skin but skincare can be daunting with rows and rows of products in your local Boots. Throw the harsh winter weather into the mix along with central heating and your skin is bound to become a little more dry and dull. These changes can make skincare even more confusing as things you have always trusted no longer seem to work. With a simple skincare routine, plenty of water and a few key products, the confusion can be removed and in no time your skin will be thanking you for the changes.

Regardless of the time of year, a good skincare routine is a must. Keeping your skin clean and moisturised is the easiest way to make sure it looks healthy. Making sure you always take off any make up, cleansing, toning and moisturising can make a huge difference to the look and feel of your skin in just a few weeks. Swap your make up wipes for a cleansing water such as the Garnier Micellar Water (£4.99) to remove your make up, not only is it much more gentle on your skin but they are much more effective at removing every last bit of make up plus they work out cheaper than leading make up wipe brands. Despite being called a cleansing water, this alone will not be enough. You still need to remove any dirt that may be on your face and help to refresh the skin which is where your cleanser comes in. If your skin is particularly dry, which it normally tends to be in the winter, then a cleansing oil is likely to be the best bet. Those of you with more oily skins need not avoid cleansing oils though, they can be brilliant for balancing out the natural oils and adding nourishment to your skin. The Body Shop Silky Camomile Cleansing Oil (£10) is a great option that won’t break the bank and is likely to last you at least three months. Toning used to be associated with stripping chemicals that could sometimes do more harm than good. Now they are much gentler and can help to tighten pores and generally improve the appearance of your skin.

Finally, moisturising. This is a key step even if you have the oiliest of skin as you still need to give your skin the right nourishment. For most, the winter is when skin is the driest so a richer moisturiser tailored for dry skin is a good option. Those with oily skin will prefer a lightweight, mattifying solution which will help to prevent future dryness and avoid making skin any oilier. It is perfectly fine to use the same moisturiser in the morning as in the evening but if your skin is very dry you may want to look into a more intense option for overnight. This will mean your skin is getting the extra boost of moisture that it needs whilst not disturbing any make up that you might wear during the day.

Tailoring your skincare routine to suit your needs for this time of year is the best way to stop your skin from drying out and looking dull. Accompany your skincare routine with plenty of water and within a couple of weeks you are bound to see a massive difference. If you are a little unsure about trying skincare products a lot of places (including The Body Shop) are happy to talk you through the product and give samples so it is worth popping in and chatting to someone if you have any questions.

10/02/2015

Charlotte Hales