Seasonal Affective Disorder makes winter much, much harder

With winter fast approaching, people who have Seasonal Affective Disorder (also known as SAD: Seasonal Affective, or winter depression) see a change in their productivity levels as their bodies go into “hibernation mode”. 

The long nights make it difficult for those people to wake up in the morning as they rely on the natural light to feel alive as opposed to feeling sluggish. Even though there are alarm clocks specifically for people who have Seasonal Affective as they have a background light to mimic natural light which gradually glows half an hour prior to the alarm going off, it is  extremely difficult to feel productive as there are fewer days which are sunny and the days are much shorter.

I didn’t find out I had Seasonal Affective until 2018 when I was in a counselling session and the counsellor mentioned it to me. This was the first time I’d heard of it and, although I haven’t been formally diagnosed with Seasonal Affective, everything I’d been feeling during the winter months over the course of the previous few years finally fell into place. The winter depression not only robbed me of my productivity, but also reduced the amount of hours in which I can be productive before darkness sets in and I become tired. 

Even though people say we “all feel like that”, it’s more than that for anyone with Seasonal Affective. It has nothing to do with ‘needing more caffeine’, though it can take more caffeine for people like me to get anything done while it’s still pitch black outside or the sky is overcast; threatening rain or looking like it’s about to let down snow.

When people ask me which season I hate the most, my answer is always winter. While I can’t say ‘because of the bad weather’ since we’re in Britain and seasons technically don’t exist, I know I hate it because of what I, as well as many others, will soon be facing. While winter might be associated with Christmas, for others, it’s associated with torture: the torture of not knowing whether tomorrow will be another day of not feeling productive due to the lack of natural light.

16/11/2021

Max Wrigley

November 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930