Sport, Sport blog

Sebastian Vettel secures third world title in Brazil

The 2012 F1 season has been unpredictable and the final race proved no exception – drama and action epitomised the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos.

In order to win the World Championship Fernando Alonso needed a podium finish but Sebastian Vettel was not going to give up without a fight. Alonso fought hard and finished second behind Jenson Button, but Vettel did enough to secure his third consecutive World Championship.

Qualifying saw the McLarens lock out the front row with Lewis Hamilton ahead of Jenson Button. Once again Felipe Massa out-qualified team mate Alonso but both Ferrari’s were intent on working together to grab the title for the Spaniard.

Tension mounted as the lights went out for the final race. Hamilton and Button pulled away with Alonso getting a great start, pulling himself up into third place. Vettel spun, facing oncoming traffic after a collision with Bruno Senna, who was later forced out of the race along with Sergio Perez.

Rain was a huge hindrance to the drivers. Careful driving from Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg saw him take the lead and he was close to becoming the ninth different winner of the season.

Nico Hulkenberg’s overtake on Hamilton saw the German slip on the wet track and accidentally take out the Brit. Hamilton’s last drive for McLaren definitely did not live up to expectations. The unscathed Hulkenberg was given a drive through penalty but following the race apologised to a clearly angry Hamilton.

A spectacular crash from Paul Di Resta on the penultimate lap saw the deployment of the safety car, ending Alonso’s slim chance of winning the title.

McLaren’s day brightened as Button came through to win the race with Hamilton achieving the fastest lap of 1:18.069 but the day was clearly stolen by Vettel, achieving his third back to back title and becoming the youngest ever F1 triple champion. Upon getting out of his car, his idol Michael Schumacher was on hand with a hug and even rival Alonso was amiable about his loss.

The 2013 season will begin on the 17 March 2013 in Australia. The countdown begins.

28/11/2012

hollywade Holly has just finished her third year studying Film and English, but sadly she never did manage to procrastinate by watching every film in IMDb’s top 250. Aside from the fun of her degree Holly is known to spend an unhealthy amount of time in the LCR which she will desperately miss when she has graduated and is forced to do something adult with her life.

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…