Fashion

Second Hand September

Forget aimlessly wandering around Chapelfield the next time clothing inspiration strikes (or the student loan drops) and head into the older part of town to hunt for second hand bargains. There are a couple of havens around Norwich, where you can dig through baskets and rails of clothing to find pieces to add to your wardrobe for a fraction of the price of high street equivalents. Read on for a guide of where to pop your head into.

St Gregory’s Antiques, Pottergate

Next to the ever-popular bar the Birdcage, is a church that houses a jumble of antique and vintage shops that serve as the perfect setting to hunt for bargains. Walk past the slightly creepy vintage toys and war memorabilia when you enter, to find the rails of clothing and bags upon bags of accessories and shoes. Look out for their great vintage pieces, from bomber jackets to knitwear at a fraction of the price you would get it for elsewhere. On your way to pay, don’t forget to have a peer into the glass cases of jewellery too for some quirky items you definitely won’t find in Topshop.

Sue Ryder Vintage, 1 Bridewell Alley

One of many charity shops around the city centre, but this one has a wonderfully curated selection of vintage clothing pieces from all era’s and brands (keep eyes peeled for hidden designer gems!). The shop front is decked out with old records and vintage Vogue’s, hinting at the treasures that can be found inside, from fancy dress items to statement pieces, all colour coordinated.

Loose’s Emporium, Magdalen Street

If you’ve got an afternoon free, you could spend the entire time in Loose’s Emporium and still not see everything. The ground floor is bric-a-brac heaven for miles, but head upstairs to find a variety of vintage sellers that occupy different corners of the shop. It might take a bit longer to find what you’re after, unless what you need is 100 army jackets, but there is something for everyone at this manic jumble sale. The rest of Magdalen Street is home to plenty of other charity shops, so be sure to explore the surrounding area after you’ve finished.

17/09/2019

Maya Coomarasamy

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031