Today is the day that Chris and I receive applications for the next Editor-in-chief and Deputy Editor of Concrete. I have to say that being Deputy Editor of this award-winning paper has been an incredible, life changing experience. 

Not only have I made amazing, supportive friends, I have grown so much as a person and developed so many transferable skills. Taking on a committee role within a university society is definitely challenging, yet it is also so rewarding. Each day has left me grateful that I took the plunge to become involved in student media. 

I would encourage anybody who isn’t a part of a university society, or anyone who wishes to be more hands on within the university community to jump headfirst into anything that excites you! For me that was journalism, radio and student representation.

For me, life on campus has also intrigued me and I have loved being able to report on news stories and write about events. Conducting interviews with the university and uea(su) has also enabled me to connect with people and open up important conversations about mental health, democracy and more!

It is with a heavy heart that I realise that my time at university (all though it is currently virtual) is coming to a close. I will miss being a student and the opportunities that it has given me. 

Now, speaking to those who are in the midst of their studies, seize every opportunity. We are living in the prime of our lives, and this time is over before you know it. Take up that new hobby, start a journal or blog, join a new club or society! Do things that will ensure that you wear a smile on your face every day. UEA is truly wonderful.