Music, Venue

Self-isolation playlist: A beginner’s guide

The first thing to remember when creating a self-isolation playlist is that unless you are going to be on your own for the whole 12 weeks, you will want an eclectic mix of songs so that you don’t disgruntle your fellow housemates. This playlist is a starting point for those wanting to customise their listening habits to suit themselves or their household. Here are some tips for creating a playlist with longevity:

1. A few classics mixed in with the contemporary can be refreshing.

It can get very boring for even the most devout fans to listen to just a handful of popular artists or just one genre, so make sure that you have a playlist that can surprise you and will not just melt into a wall of noise.

An example from the playlist: The Police ‘Don’t Stand So Close to Me’ alongside Tinie Tempah ‘Pass Out’.

2. Balance the Mood

The same amount of variety should be considered when choosing uplifting songs and more sombre ballads. The last thing you want is to be stuck with a dreary tune for hours on end. Mix it up a bit!

An example from the playlist: Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson ‘Uptown Funk’ alongside Anna Nalick ‘Breathe (2AM)’. 

3. Selecting your overall message

If the aim of your playlist is to make you feel positive then only select songs that are going to give you hope. Alternatively, if you like a bit of dark humour you can be more provocative with your choices.

An example from the playlist: Natasha Bedingfield ‘Pocketful of Sunshine’ or Ariana and the Rose ‘Survival of the Fittest’.

Whatever your daily routine looks like, there are a few songs on here for everything you might be doing inside this spring/summer. If you are working from home, Dolly Parton’s ‘9 to 5’ should help get you through the day. You may decide to do a bit of exercise and Megan Trainor’s ‘Me Too’ will motivate you to break a sweat. Those missing the LCR, will appreciate The Killers ‘Mr Brightside’ being pride of place in this playlist.

In times like these, discovering new music can be a boost to your positivity so try to experiment with what you are listening to. You can give this playlist a listen here: 

Hopefully this will inspire you to create your own and to branch out this spring/summer.

21/04/2020

Gabriela Williams

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031