Travel

The last of the September sun

With the summer warmth gone and the start of another academic year, imminent, you’d be forgiven for letting your mind wander to warmer climates. September is the perfect time of year for students to enjoy the end of summer travel deals. For those seeking gentler temperatures than the baking heat of August, this time of year offers temperatures in the mid twenties. Perfect weather for either relaxing on the beach in preparation for the next academic year, or enjoying the cultural sights.

barcelona_sightseeing

Photo: Fly To Barcelona

Great destinations include Barcelona, a vibrant city with a fantastic atmosphere as well as one of Europe’s best drinking and dining scenes. Here you can have a city-break over the weekend and enjoy the seaside location, saturated with Spanish culture and fabled Gaudi architecture unlike that of no other in the world. The temperature in September averages a perfect 23°C, and right now you will find excellent end of summer deals on flights and hotels. If, however, you feel like booking in advance and spending your reading week or perhaps winter break in a sunnier location, prices drop dramatically from November to March.

Another hot destination right now is the Italian heart of Florence. With an average temperature of 24°C this September it is the perfect place to kick back and enjoy an exquisite Italian espresso before the start of term. With hundreds of different hotels and boutique B&B’s competing amongst quiet business, there are plenty of great options for the traveller on a budget. Perhaps a double room in a beautiful 16th century palazzo? Or you can get some friends together and five of you can stay for four nights in a luxurious B&B with private en-suite for a bargain at £93. Wherever you choose to stay, you wont be at a loss for things to do in Florence. From the artistic works of Michelangelo, to the array of fashion boutiques, Florence knows a thing or too about aesthetics, and is the perfect stylish get away.

Often missed off the inter-rail trip is Lisbon. As Portugal’s capital it is full of rustic beauty. Flights for September are a bit on the pricey side but it’s well the worth the money. Lisbon is spread over steep hillsides, with breath-taking views of the city. All this overlooks the Rio Tejo, the longest river along the Iberian peninsular. A delightful and diverse capital it is less fussy than it’s European counterparts. Why not enjoy the stunning craftsmanship of the Gothic cathedrals and century old monasteries, or stroll down to the public baths to get really familiar with local culture. Lisbon offers some of the best European food and wine, without breaking the bank. In this ancient city you can still, or if you fancy a more peaceful evening, watch the sunset over the Rio Tejo from an old Moorish castle.

Whether you need to wind down before classes or fancy taking the freshers antics across the shores, there’s so much out there to do and see.

20/09/2013

sophiepeters