TV

Series return: Friday Night Dinner

This week saw the rib-tickling return of the Goodman family’s Friday Night Dinner to our Channel 4 tuned television screens.

While it may have been shunted to the less appropriate scheduling slot of Sunday 10pm, the second series sees the full cast back and ready to work the scripts and nail the laughs.

Inbetweener Simon Bird stars as the older brother to stand-up comedian Tom Rosenthal’s character, and there are plenty of laughs to be had at the twenty-something’s unceasing sibling rivalry.

Playing mother to the pair is Tamsin Greig (Black Books, Green Wing), alongside the serial screen star, Paul Ritter, as the oddball father of the family.

No comedy cast is complete without Mark Heap (Green Wing, Spaced) playing his trademark cripplingly awkward character, this time known as Jim, a strange neighbour who has a habit of making unannounced visits every Friday with his dog Wilson.

The charm of the show is the relatable family antics, whether it’s your brother sneaking salt into your drink or your dad having a nasty habit of shouting “s**t on it”. Writer and creator of the show is the BAFTA award-winning Robert Popper, also producer for Peep Show.

The first series aired in February last year and met with great reception, so much so that the show has already been picked up for an American remake by Greg Daniels who was responsible for The Office (US) – because as we all know, you haven’t had success until your show has been regurgitated stateside.

The new series will run six episodes and started on October 7th and this time there’s even a Christmas special to look forward to. So why not have your Friday night dinner on a Sunday this week, and catch the show at 10.05pm on Channel 4, or catch up online with 4oD.

09/10/2012

christeale

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…