Shang-Chi: Review

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is one of Marvel’s latest releases amongst the many series and movies they have released this year. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is the first stand-alone film in the MCU to feature an Asian-American superhero. The movie had amazing cinematography and fight scenes, which were a standout to me whilst watching. I was also impressed by the exceptional performances from the cast.

Despite being an action movie, Shang-Chi tells a brief and authentic love story that can pull at your heartstrings. Shang-Chi’s love for his family and friends is what helps drive him down the road of self-discovery. As we follow this journey, we get a great sense of female empowerment in this film from his fearless sister, Xialing, and his friend, Katy. This empowerment is great to see from Marvel movies as it gives young girls a role model to look up to and learn from, rather than being presented as the damsel in distress that ‘needs to be saved’ which is usually seen in action movies. 

The film incorporates a combination of Chinese American culture. From material arts to traditional music, the director’s goal to make the movie more authentic to Asian culture is evident with a good portion of the movie being spoken in Mandarin with English subtitles. In my opinion, this film appeals to all audiences. Many audiences may feel that they can connect to the ideas and traits detailed in the film. Shang-Chi has many positive attributes and values which can relate to everyday life. The movie’s central theme is to accept who you are.

05/10/2021

Caitlin Telford

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031