Skateboard ban proposal withdrawn by Norwich council

Following a protest outside City Hall and an online petition that reached 6,800 signatures decrying the measure, Norwich City Council has decided to drop a proposed skateboarding ban in the city centre.

The ban, which was intended to cover the area around the Forum, the market and City Hall – initial plans suggested the ban should encompass an even wider area – was put forward by council bosses in light of damage done to stonework on the war memorial. It was claimed that the damage was the result of skate boarding.

The council is now undertaking a 12-week consultation over whether to introduce a Public Space Protection Order to the War Memorial and Memorial Gardens.

This policy will allow them to give fines to people engaging in anti-social behaviour, including damaging the memorial, in that area.
Some people who are against the ban, including Green Party councillor Sandra Bögelein, have raised concerns with this, worrying it may still be heavy-handed, and are continuing their contact with the council.

09/12/2014

nedsamuel

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31