Slump in student support for Lib Dems

Student support for the Liberal Democrats has fallen to six per cent, The Independent has reported.

Untitled-1

The figure puts the party behind Labour and the Conservatives who hold 43 per cent and 24 per cent respectively. It also ranks the Lib Dems behind the Green Party who have leapfrogged Nick Clegg’s party to 14 percent of the potential student vote.

Several of the Lib Dem’s key constituencies have hefty student populations, including Simon Wright’s Norwich South, where UEA is located. Even Clegg’s Sheffield Hallam constituency, with the country’s third largest student population, could be under threat. The Lib Dem’s Bath, Bristol, Cardiff and Manchester constituencies could also find themselves under pressure.

The main reason cited for the collapse is the party’s reversal on its opposition to the rise in student fees, which garnered them a great deal of support back in 2010. Student support for the Lib Dems has traditionally polled around five percent higher than the rest of the general public.

29/04/2014

joshmott Josh was the editor of Wired (now Gaming) 2011-2012.

April 2021
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930