Breaking News, Main Stories

Social media platforms crash worldwide

Earlier today at around 4pm, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, and Messenger went offline.

The users of these platforms, all owned by Facebook and operate on shared infrastructure, received around 70,000 reported issues in total from 4pm to 5pm.

The Facebook app will show content previously loaded but is unable to generate recent content, whereas only an error message appears when www.facebook.com is typed into a web browser.

Twitter, one of the few main social media platforms not owned by Facebook, is still online. Facebook communications executive Andy Stone tweeted: “We’re aware that some people are having trouble accessing our apps and products. We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any inconvenience.” Although Stone referred to the crash affecting “some people”, there have not been any reports worldwide of Facebook-owned social media platforms working.

While it’s unclear how the platforms went down, the cause is suspected to be an issue with the Domain Name System (DNS), which acts as a translator between what a user types into their web browser and the webpage they are trying to find.

According to technology blogger and app researcher Jane Munchun Wong, the crash is also affecting Facebook’s internal sites.

04/10/2021

Jim Gell

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031