Gaming

Some of The Best Video Games of 2021

Whilst 2021 looked promising in terms of video games, it seems several of the biggest titles we were anticipating have fallen flat and failed to live up to their expectations (Sorry, Battlefield 2042). However, I’ve compiled a list of a few of the best games released this year, in terms of their ratings and feedback.

1.     Forza Horizon 5 

The Forza franchise has been very popular across the years, and its latest release Forza Horizon 5 certainly doesn’t disappoint. Set in Mexico, the open-world racing game boasts amazing, improved graphics and an abundance of new features. It offers lots of new cars, bumpers, engine swaps, tyres, different types of gearboxes, as well as the option to paint your brake callipers and the ability to rock crawl. Moreover, the game has better driving physics. However, I have heard that the game is a bit bugged online at times. It is available to play on Xbox and Xbox Game Pass.

2.     Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Whilst this game isn’t entirely new, it was released on Nintendo Switch in February this year. I do remember playing it previously on the Nintendo Wii U, but I have to say I’ve enjoyed it a lot more on the Switch. This colourful game looks lovely on the screen, and just as good on a TV. It has a lot of different worlds to be explored, from deserts to snowy scenes. I really enjoy the 3D element (and the ability to turn into a cat when necessary). This is a great game to play single-player too.

3.     Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Okay, so while the game itself wasn’t released this year, the 2.0 update was! If you’re looking for an excuse to pick your Switch up again, then this is it. I even restarted my entire game in preparation to play the update, and I have to say it was worth it. Being able to build a real farm and decorate with all the new items really helped me to rekindle my love for ACNH, and the upgrade of Harv’s Island is brilliant.

4.     Halo Infinite

So far, so good: Halo Infinite has received plenty of positive feedback. This first-person shooting game has been commended for its stunning graphics, multiplayer modes, and impressive gameplay. It offers a good selection of unique weapons and plenty of ways to customise game settings, allowing players to customise to their hearts’ content. However, there has been some criticism of the Battle Pass and the progression system.

5.     Marvel’s Guardians of The Galaxy

Available on PC, Nintendo Switch, Xbox and PlayStation 5, this game has received some pretty good ratings, allowing players to experience a solo adventure. It’s humorous and fun to play, and many have commented that they really enjoyed the dialogue between characters, which I must say is quite rare (I, too, am guilty of smashing the ‘A’ button repeatedly till characters stop speaking). It seems that its pros certainly outweigh its cons, and it’s a joy-filled game, well worth playing.

07/12/2021

Holly Jackson

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31