Deputy Editors' Column

Spice up your latte, spice up your life

Campus is damp and dreary – we are fully in the autumn season. However, it can’t all be doom and gloom! Unio are selling pumpkin spice latte’s, lovely red leaves are decorating campus and all the squirrels are out to play. I’ve gotten into the habit of working in the Sainsbury centre café and people/wildlife watching. Although I might have a huge pile of reading to get through, I like to work in open spaces to inspire me to persevere. 

I have a summative due on Halloween and I am dreading seeing everyone I know dress up in spooky outfits whilst I’m in the library typing away. I am looking forward to the Media Collective’s annual Halloween bar crawl this Friday – I’ve bought my outfit and I’m ready to go.

Although I have quite a few activities to look forward to, this year is appearing to stretch me quite far. Despite this, I feel as though we are being rewarded for all our hard work with our BBC Radio Four Today award nominations. We have been nominated for ‘Best Student Publication’ again, but this year the whole team is extremely excited that our radio show ‘A Week in Concrete’ is nominated for ‘Best Student Programme’. Get your fingers crossed for the 28th October!

Thank you to Livewire for facilitating our radio show and enabling us to become multi-media. We had our first radio show last Tuesday and we forgot to turn the mics on for the first ten minutes; hopefully our next show will run a little more smoothly. Tune into Livewire 5-6pm to hear about all things Concrete!

It is times like this where I sit back and appreciate all that Concrete has given me – confidence, better writing skills and lovely, talented friends. I urge anyone who isn’t part of any societies or clubs to give anything you’re interested in a go and see what happens, it might just be the best thing that has ever happened to me. Take the plunge and spice up your life.

22/10/2019

Jess Barrett

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930