Splashh – Comfort – review

Comfort is, ironically, an assault on your ears. Heavy distortion, echoing vocals and supernatural euphoria galore in three minute portions, Splashh are the Beach Boys at number 10 on the Richter scale, with musical noise so powerful you struggle to notice anything else.

splashh comfort

Headspins, however, is a slow start, its relatively mid-tempo verses and simple chorus warming us up for the main act All I Wanna Do, the album’s lead single, combining powerful synthesisers with catchy hooks; it’s the best track on the album by a light-year. It’s a tough act to follow, but it’s always a good thing to tag along one anthem next to another – Need It, although not sharing the pop supremacy of its predecessor, forces the most reclusive introvert to tap their foot to its infectious pulse. Also of note is the Miles Kane-esque So Young, where Splashh put on a leather jacket and slick back their hair with wax as they assume the roles of Mods for three minutes.

Intense as it is, there’s no break in Comfort, no breather; it’s almost as if you’re being asked to sprint a mile, and after a while, you get tired. Fillers become noticeable – Vacation’s synth sounds are ugly, and compared to other tracks falls short on a strong riff. Lemonade plods along in the same banal vein its bland title suggests. Strange Fruit’s chorus is creepy and its title is odd and silly. Sure, these songs still have a partially cataclysmic earthquake effect, but they don’t have the same edge as the others.

Amongst the apocalypse and the silly titles, though, is an air of maturity. Green and Blue is akin to its anthemic antecedents, but this time crammed with nostalgia; the sun’s going down and we’ve had an incredible holiday. Lost Your Cool is the plane back home, and the band’s most relaxed effort, although you can hardly say it’s a song to send you to a sea of tranquillity.

Splashh’s time with you only lasts half an hour, but if it was any longer, you’d go nuts. It’s relentless, it’s ridiculous, it’s serious damage to your eardrums on full volume, and I dare you not to lose yourself at least three times when listening to Comfort. It has its flaws, but it’s explosive. Brace yourself for a massive Splashh.

26/05/2013

Sam Day