Nicknamed the Grand Canyon state, Arizona has a reputation for attracting site-seers and backpackers to its world famous national park. Whilst it doesn’t disappoint those seeking natural beauty, there is also a rich sporting culture to be experienced in the South West of the United States.

McKale_Center_(Upper_Deck)

Here are the top three sporting attractions that you should check out if you find yourself in the area:

Chase field Ballpark – Phoenix
Whilst baseball may take you out of your sporting comfort zone, it’s an American institution and a great way to experience US culture. Not to mention, the Arizona Diamondbacks are a great excuse to visit downtown Phoenix.

Tickets start at just $8 in the upper deck for those on a budget, or those who are just new to the game. This 48,000 seat stadium also has a retracting roof to provide cool air conditioning, which means it may well be worth a visit just to escape the Sonoran desert heat for the evening.

McKale centre – Tucson
If you thought you were passionate about the UEA Pirates come Derby Day, a trip to the US will make you feel very tame. University sports can be the heart and soul of US cities, the colours of the local team can be found in every bar, club and restaurant in town. Tucson is no exception, found 60 miles north of the Mexican Border, it is home to the University of Arizona and the variety of sports teams that represent it.
T
he McKale Centre hosts the Wildcats men’s and women’s basketball games both of which are highly ranked Division I teams. The student atmosphere is second to none and tickets are available on the resale site stubhub starting at $15.

Silver Spur Rodeo – Yuma
A Mexican border town, Yuma provides fantastic food and entertainment for those crossing into South America. If you find yourself here in early February, make sure you check out the rodeo.

This three day competition gives you a great excuse to put on a checkered shirt and blend in with the cowboys of the south. Tickets are $15 on the gates which gives you access to wrestling, riding and roping. What more could you want?