Sports clubs

Sports night returns: bigger, but is it better?

Sports night returned successfully for the first time since the pandemic on Wednesday, following the first set of BUCS fixtures of the year. The event is now ticketed and hosted in the LCR on campus after the controversial cancellation the week before.

Although the events that meant the SU were forced to make changes to sports night were far from ideal, it is surely a positive to see such an upsurge in people buying their SAM’s and wanting to go out with their sports clubs. I was apprehensive to see what the new sports night would look like and whether it would be as good as it had been pre-pandemic, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Even though we were in the LCR instead of Blue bar it definitely still felt like a sports night. The larger venue meant it was much less cramped than before, although I’m not sure why some people were still unable to get their tickets despite the bigger capacity.

My personal favourite addition to the night was the fact that the big screens over the stage in the LCR were displaying that day’s sports results on a loop. A definite improvement from the old sports night where the tiny screens never really managed to catch anyone’s attention. This created a real sense of celebration and meant lots of cheering, especially when you got to see your team’s result being shown on the screen.

Although I’m sure there were doubts the sports night charm would be negatively impacted, I think it is safe to say that it was a thoroughly enjoyable night. The most important thing is that we get to play and celebrate with our teams again in a way that we have not been able to in such a long time. Sports night does look a bit different now, but rest assured it is still a great night and one which we will continue to enjoy.

26/10/2021

Ella Fairchild

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031