Sportspark offers free day-care for NHS workers’ children

UEA Sportspark has re-opened to provide day-care for the children of frontline NHS workers.

The Sportspark will open between 8am and 8pm on weekdays. As well as being looked after by staff, the children will also be allowed to make use of the Sportspark’s award-winning facilities, which include an Olympic swimming pool.

Volunteers and Sportspark staff have signed up to put on physical activities in mornings and afternoons and creative activities in the evenings. All activities will comply with the government’s strict social distancing guidelines. 

Children will also receive a packed lunch from Campus Kitchen.

Phil Steele, Director of Sport and Commercial Services at UEA, said: “Right now we’re all deeply indebted to our colleagues in the NHS for providing such a fantastic and essential service to keep us safe and healthy. With a spacious, multi-purpose community facility at our disposal, it seemed obvious that we should put this to good use as a way of giving something back to them.

“We’ll continue to make the venue available for this for as long as we need to and there are still a number of places available so please do get in touch if you can make use of the facility.”

Adam Garford, Head of Sport and Physical Activity Development at UEA Sportspark, said: “We want to be able to provide a programme that keeps the children active and entertained at a challenging time for them, while still prioritising the need to keep them socially distant and educate them on why this is important.

“So far the children seem to have really enjoyed themselves and been able to take part in a number of sports and activities they hadn’t tried before – and we’ve had a lot of grateful parents too. I’d like to thank all the members of staff and volunteers who have helped to get this off the ground and hopefully the programme will continue to grow until we’re able to return to normal.”

Key workers from Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals (NNUH) NHS Foundation Trust, Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust (NSFT) and Norfolk Community Health and Care (NCHC) NHS Trust with children aged between five and 15 years old can book places by emailing ueahscp@uea.ac.uk

21/04/2020

Chris Matthews

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…