Spotlight 2014 – preview

DramaSoc’s Spotlight is back! Six original plays back-to-back this Sunday in the LCR, a definite must see for the Drama scene here at UEA. Venue caught up with a mixture of cast and crew from all plays to see what to expect.

971860_10152707236278345_1430781204_n

Second Midnight opens the evening with a satirical look at the world of celebrity in Charlotte Spencer’s directorial debut at UEA.

Harry Denniston’s Phoney deals largely with the theme of doubt. Two thieves steal a phone and things quickly deteriorate for them as the incoming texts reveal something rather sinister.

Next in the running comes Sam Day’s Fargle! The Earthlings are Coming. His play about Martians has given him a lot of freedom to play with characterisation, and the play promises subtly political undertones throughout.
Freddie Van der Velde’s The Ghost Writer handles integrity in Hollywood. Director Benjamin Rogers, was drawn to the play for the strength of its content and the lyricism of its dialogue. There’s a lot to look forward to from this play that promises a powerful punch.

Expect to recognise yourself in Ellie Whittaker’s Quiet Night In, her play looks at UEA students getting drunk. So pretty appropriate to have it staged in the LCR, ay.

The Queue for Paradise is hailed by director Stephan Drury as an “Essex Hunger Games.” Inspired by the mania surrounding an Aldi opening his saw in Kings Lynn, his take on the ruthless world of professional queuing is as equally comic as it is tense.

So make sure you find yourself in the LCR this Sunday 23rd for what promises to be a great night, and one sure to follow on from the success of last year. Doors open at 7.30pm and tickets are £4 so come show your support.

19/03/2014

callumgraham