SPOTLIGHT: HALEY HEYNDERICKX

Hailing from Portland, Oregon, the Filipino-American singer songwriter Haley Heynderickx has been catching the ear of the indie folk community in recent years.

After releasing an EP in 2016, Haley has gone on to release her debut album I Need To Start A Garden in 2018 which landed her heaps of critical acclaim. This decade could be massive for her as she brings her unique style to the scene.

Haley is signed to the record label, Mama Bird Recording who have hosted a number of renowned artists such as Courtney Marie Andrews and Damien Jurado. She learned to sing from her childhood singing in church and religion is something that she explores a lot in her music and often reminds me of the music of Lucy Dacus. 

Her fingerpicking guitar style is a mix of Elliott Smith and Bluegrass which Haley has mentioned before, saying how her guitar teacher only knew Bluegrass which she later came to appreciate during college when she fell in love with the early music of Bob Dylan.

Heynderickx music is the perfect music to listen to with a mug of tea, gazing out of a window romanticising a life on a rural Italian orchard. 

Her debut, I Need To Start A Garden is a perfect example of this, taking everything great about indie folk while putting her own spin on the sound. The album uses metaphoric imagery to describe a struggling relationship on The Bug Collector and in Oom Sha La La Haley falls into an existential crisis with lyrics of magical realism. 

The title to this album recalls her own childhood with her parents and grandparents being gardeners, the title feels as though this is more than just an album about gardening and the outdoors but more so about personal reflection and introspection.

While Heynderickx hasn’t released any music since her collaboration with Max Garcia Conover in 2018, throughout the rest of this decade she is one to look out for. 

At the moment, Haley is touring with the string band Punch Brothers in the US and hopefully, before long, we can see Heynderickx bring a tour over to the UK.

01/03/2022

Tom Manning

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…