Squash Season Preview

Squash is a well-known sport, although unfortunately it is not yet played in the Olympics. Matches are best of 3 or 5 games, where each game is played to 11 points. However, if the score reaches 10-all, the game will continue until one player leads by 2 points. UEA’s Squash team is for the most part separated by gender, although there can be mixing in leagues. UEA has one Women’s Squash team with the hopes of moving towards two this semester. The Men’s Squash team is made up of two teams, with an aim to grow to three.

Although the UEA Women’s Squash team did not participate in BUCS, they came 5thin the local league competition. The Men’s first team came 1stin their local league and held their ground in BUCS following their promotion from last year. Furthermore, the Women’s team narrowly lost 2-3 on Derby Day, but the Men’s team was more successful, winning 4-1.

Squash joined UEA Tennis to form the Bi-Racket Ball which took place at Dunston Hall this spring. The Squash team also holds its annual Christmas Dinner, which most often takes place at The Lamb Inn. Many of the UEA Squash members attended the LGBT+ Sports Night which took place at the LCR as well.

The aims for this next season are to improve results in the local league for all teams, as well as to include a Women’s BUCS team for this semester. Furthermore, the Squash club is aiming to increase its membership this year, trying to appeal to players of all skill levels. The Squash club is hoping to appeal to more female players through their women’s training sessions.

Adam Friswell, newly elected President of the UEA Squash Club, says: “Last season was good for me, I got a good few wins under my belt and a highlight was winning my Derby Day match! I’m looking forward to increasing my number of wins next year! And looking for the club to get some better results in the BUCS, as well as increasing the number of girls in the club.”

Two players to watch out for are Charlie Benton (2ndyear), a member of the Men’s second team and Isaac Mills (3rdyear). Both boys have had a great year of Squash and pose a real threat to their future opponents.

The first Men’s and Women’s BUCS matches take place on the 10thOctober!

01/10/2018

Ally Artuch