TV

Staples of British evening TV

Even though we live in a world where we can binge shows off streaming services, we often still find ourselves tuning into live television at certain points of the year. Classic prime-time television shows such as Strictly Come Dancing, I’m a Celebrity… Get me Out of Here, and The Great British Bake-Off are the common culprits. So, why do we keep watching them? There are many reasons, however, celebrity guests and the comfort of familiarity have got to be up there. 

Strictly Come Dancing takes celebrities and pairs them with professional dancers to train them in ballroom and latin dance styles. Aired every Saturday, the celebrities perform routines that they have been learning throughout the week, with the results aired on Sundays. As someone who loves dance, I personally enjoy Strictly Come Dancing, and I feel the show continues to be successful as it balances familiarity with something new. For example, new dance styles have been added such as street and contemporary in recent years. Additionally, in 2020 we saw the first same sex Strictly pairing as Olympic boxing champion Nicola Adams danced with professional, Katya Jones. This year, TV presenter John Whaite will be the first male celebrity to be partnered with a male professional, showing that same-sex pairings wasn’t a one off, and it is a sign of commitment to include this as standard for series to come.

I’m a Celebrity… Get Me out of Here is a staple of British television. Who doesn’t love Ant and Dec? For me, The hosts are why this show is successful. But again, it can also depend on which celebrities will be entering the jungle to determine whether I watch the full series. This year I watched the beginning of the show but wasn’t overly keen on the celebrities after the first impression. I didn’t connect with any of them. Although, most people are most likely tuning in for the hopes of having someone to laugh at. And, let’s be honest, there’s always one. 

The Great British Bake Off, is one of the most stereotypically British TV shows out there. From the set design to the contestants on the show, the personalities of the contestants shine through without the push of the production. The show is genuine and thrives off British humour, but there is also no focus on a particular contestant’s personal story. Instead, it highlights lovely people. There is no drama other than from the contestants trying to impress, worrying they won’t have enough time or skill to pull it off.These are just a few British TV staples, however, honourable mentions should go to Dancing on Ice and Britain’s Got Talent. Perhaps they are seen to be getting a bit repetitive, but new shows such as The Masked Singer, are always appearing. Could this be a new staple show for British TV?

07/12/2021

Caitlin Telford

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31