Film news: Star Wars, Matt Smith, Ryan Gosling

After announcing that JJ Abrams is to direct Stars Wars Episode VII, Disney are obviously still keen to show the public what it has in store for the new Star Wars series. They have now revealed that many of the beloved characters will have their own spin-off films (not that unlike the X-Men “prequels”).

JJ Abrams

It seems that Yoda, along with Han Solo and Boba Fett, will be among the lucky characters chosen to fill the gaps between Star Wars Episode VII, VIII and VIX. The plots of these individual movies will be set alongside various Star Wars episodes, indicating that Disney is determined to gets its money’s worth from the franchise.

It appears that now is the time for actresses to try their hand at a role behind the camera, instead of in front of it. At the young age of 25, Ellen Page (Juno) is set to direct a movie called Miss Stevens, starring Anna Faris, who will play a teacher that inspires a group of students to enter a state drama competition.

Yet, we will see Page back in front of the camera and on the big screen in the latest X-Men instalment. Furthermore, Melissa McCarthy, who has risen to prominence after her performances in recent comedy box office hits (i.e. Bridesmaids), is looking to direct her first film in which she will also star.

Matt Smith has been cast for Ryan Gosling’s How To Catch A Monster. It is unclear what role he will play but this marks a huge career boost for the man best known as “The Doctor”, as he will star alongside Christina Hendricks and Eva Mendes. The plot follows Hendricks’ character; a mother who is caught up in a fantasy world after her son discovers a road to an underwater city.

Ryan Gosling and Matt Smith

The first trailer for Monsters University has been released and may strike a cord with our generation, as students may be hoping for a nice bit of quality nostalgia reminiscent of the last Toy Story chapter.

It has been over ten years since Monsters, Inc. hit the big screen and, therefore, this latest adaptation may see many students lining up to watch it. It is presented as a prequel to Monsters, Inc. and it seems that Mike (Billy Crystal) and Sulley (John Goodman) did not immediately warm to one another within the competitive atmosphere of the imaginatively named “Monsters University”.

Monsters Inc 3D

After the success of Tarantino’s genre retelling of historical events (in an almost unhistorical context), he has let it slip that he would like to develop a follow up to Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained. It is unknown what form these new films may take, but this is similar to previous claims by Tarantino to follow up on past projects which have never come to light, such as a proposed prequel to Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. Thus, audiences may have to wait and see what the contentious director has up his sleeve next.

19/02/2013

katrynacoak

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031