Featured Posts, News

Student assaulted on campus

Updated 10 December 2012 with a statement from the University.

Police are appealing for information after a female student was assaulted near to campus on Thursday 6 December at 11:40pm.

The incident happened on a footpath adjoining Bluebell Road near to the North Park Avenue junction. The 21-year-old was walking along the path when she was grabbed from behind by an unknown male. The student fell to the ground but managed to struggle free.

The male is described as being of stocky build, around 5ft 8in and wearing a metallic blue long-sleeved Puffa-style jacket with the hood up. Detectives would like to speak to anyone who believes they may have seen a male matching such a description in the area.

Witnesses are asked to contact Det Con John Waterman at Norfolk Constabulary on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

In response to the assault, Simon Dunford, assistant head of communications, said: “The university takes the security of its students, staff and visitors very seriously, and incidents such as this are very uncommon at UEA. Our security team patrols the campus 24 hours a day, and CCTV is active across the university grounds.

“We are doing everything we can to assist the police with their enquiries into this incident and would urge students to take a common sense approach to personal safety, avoiding walking alone or taking shortcuts at night . Please keep to the main campus roads that are well-frequented, even when this adds a few extra minutes to your journey.”

The Union of UEA Students offers advice on night time and personal safety. Click here to read.

08/12/2012

phillipthomas

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31