Students feel universities fail to prepare them for work

According to The Times Higher Education it takes graduates approximately 12 applications before they secure a job.

SadGraduate

The professional networking site LinkedIn commissioned a poll of 2,000 UK students and graduates, called the ‘Students Have Your Say Survey’, to find out about their application experiences. It found that 52% believed that universities did not teach them the skills they needed to find a job. 65% of the participants felt that they were not ready for the ‘world of work’.

According to statistics released by UEA, 69.5% of the 93.2% who were in work after graduating in 2010-11, had a graduate-level occupation. Apparently postgraduates were even more employable; out of 96% of leavers, 93.6% gained a graduate-level job. UEA is currently conducting a survey of the 2012-13 graduates, and will have statistics published in May this year.

Furthermore, The Times Higher Education pointed out that having an online presence improves chances of gaining a job, especially with sites such as LinkedIn, which allows you to interact with potential employers. Forbes.com predicted that in the future CVs will become less common, eventually being replaced by each individual’s online presence, particularly through the use of websites and blogs.

Last summer the BBC announced that “nearly one in ten graduates” were unemployed.

25/03/2014

veritystone

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930