News, Uncategorized

Students’ Union Shop Provides Support to Afghan Students and Families

Students’ Union (SU) Shop staff have been instructed to use a dedicated till account as part of UEA’s commitment to support returning, or new, Afghan students and their families.

This covers all SU Shop items apart from alcohol, cigarettes, UEA clothing/merchandise, and lottery items.

SU Officers released the following statement: “Afghan refugees are in urgent need of support. We support the UK government’s announcement of the Afghan Citizens’ Resettlement Scheme as a first step, but believe that greater ambition is needed in the UK, Europe and the US to provide assistance to people fleeing conflict and oppression”.

In a statement released on 19th August, Vice Chancellor Professor David Richardson said: “UEA is deeply concerned at the distressing scenes unfolding in Afghanistan and calls for the UK Government to expedite the safe passage of affected students to take up their place to study in the UK… we will continue to do all that we can to support and accelerate any required visas and funding as needed, along with the safe travel of Chevening Scholars to the UK”.

A further statement on 26th August detailed UEA’s work with Universities UK to “provide personalised support to Afghani students currently in the UK and Afghanistan, and Chevening Scholars due to travel to the UK to begin their studies at UEA in September”.

UEA is now coming into its fourth year of being a University of Sanctuary, an initiative which aims to “recognise and celebrate the good practice of universities welcoming people seeking sanctuary through facilitated access to higher education”.

14/09/2021

Dolly Carter

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930