Students’ utopian works awarded

Students were praised for their creativity at an awards ceremony for the arts school’s annual prize.

The 2017 Dean’s prize for the Arts and Humanities Faculty asked students to address the theme of utopia in whatever form they preferred.

The prize was open to second-year students and 20 entered this year. Prof Sarah Barrow, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Arts and Humanities said that LDC students submitted to this year’s prize “in their droves,” owing to enthusiastic encouragement from the school.

Shannon Lewis, who won the top prize of £500, produced a bleak story about an attempt to create a utopia which turns dystopian and apocalyptic. She read aloud her piece, called “The world according to K”, at the ceremony.

They said: “I thought it was an interesting premise, it’s 1,000-2,000 words which isn’t even that much, and it’s a fun thing to have a premise for and a good creative exercise.”

Gabriel Flynn, one of the runners up, said: “I think it’s [the Dean’s Prize] a good idea and I think anyone should definitely snap it up and students especially from outside of LDC should have a go. I think most the entries are written entries but it’s open to all humanities students.”

This year, different formats were encouraged with the winner submitting a creative writing piece and runner ups submitting thoughtful pieces of prose.

Prof Sarah Barrow announced this year’s question would be: “Truth or Trust – is the real problem not so much that we live in post-truth societies, but post-trust ones?” She said the question was “the right one for the moment”.

The deadline is Friday 16 March 2018 and the winners will be announced in May.

10/10/2017

EmilyHawkins