Sudan coup attempt fails

Authorities in Sudan reported on 21st September that a coup attempt against the transitional government, the Sovereignty Council, had failed.

Government officials say those behind the attack were soldiers loyal to the previous ruler Omar al-Bashir who after three decades had been deposed in 2019. 21 officers have been arrested in the aftermath of this attempt.

Al Jazeera’s Sudan correspondent Hiba Morgan said that the coup attempted to take over the army headquarters, state television,and to dismiss the council of ministers and sovereignty council.

Sudan’s Prime Minister, Abdallah Hamdok spoke on the coup saying, “They tried to take advantage of the situation in different towns by closing the ports and the roads. They took advantage of the national crisis and tried to stop us from moving forward during this transitional period.”

Recent instability in Sudan following the civilian-military led council governing the country has seen tensions between the military and civilian departments. In the midst of an economic crisis, the fallout from this attempted coup has caused frictions to grow within the council.

Since Sudan achieved independence in 1956, democratically elected governments have often failed at ending civil wars and improving the nation’s economy.The deputy head of the Sovereignty Council, General Mohamed Hamden Dagalo said, “Let us be clear: we have pledged before God from day one to shepherd the Sudanese people to democracy. Military regimes have been useless.” 

Yet for some these comments have been taken with a pinch of salt, especially those who question the military’s intentions. Sudan has been governed by military rule for 50 years of its 65 years since independence.

In a statement, the Sudanese Professionals Association who helped to lead the uprising against former ruler al-Bashir in 2019 called for an end to the partnership with the military.

The United Nations Chief, Antonio Guterres, condemned the coup. “The secretary-general calls on all parties to remain committed to the transition and the realization of the aspirations of the Sudanese people for an inclusive, peaceful, stable and democratic future.”

05/10/2021

Tom Manning

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031