Sudan’s government reaches compromise with five rebel groups

Sudan’s government has reached an agreement with five rebel groups in the midst of one of many civil conflicts that have plagued the country for decades.

The deal has provided a welcome hope for the North African state, now led by a transitional government fronted by Abdalla Hamdock and General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan. Last year, the authoritarian regime of Omar al-Bashir was ousted by a military coup after the ruler’s brutal handling of domestic affairs led to sweeping unrest and protests across the country.

Sudan has faced years of civil violence, the most recent beginning in the regions of South Kordofan and Blue Nile after South Sudan gained independence in 2011. Many rebel factions also originate from non-Arabic minority groups who are unhappy with Arabic dominance over the country’s government. It is believed over 300,000 people have been killed in the region of Darfur since 2003.

The Khartoum-based transitional government have said peace building is a cornerstone “for all its endeavours”.

It is hoped the new deal, which covers various domestic issues as well as dismantling rebel groups and incorporating fighters into the Sudanese army, will usher in a new era for a country that has been locked in turmoil and violence for decades. 

22/09/2020

William Warnes

William Warnes

Global Editor - 2019/20

Co-Deputy Editor - 2020/21