Fashion, OldVenue

Suede – this season’s trusty must-have

Considering we’ve seen man buns, double denim, and leg warmers, it seems a miracle that the new must-have trend is the wonderfully tame but still classic suede. It’s a great way to pay homage to that 70s style without the crazy platforms or flares. I will admit to a certain level of journalistic bias, owing to my ever-growing collection of suede ankle boots, but I love the current accumulating appreciation for the material. It’s no ground-breaker, however, that the likes of Vogue’s suede choices, whilst beautiful, may be a little out of the student price range. Hopefully I can help in the attempt to find the student equivalent to those Chanel suede trousers.

As I’m writing this article there are currently 711,116 tagged ‘suede’ Instagrams, (and thankfully only 74,346 #doubledenim). Social media is hardly the most reliable place for sales figures and statistics on trends, but it seems unlikely these 700,000 people can all afford Chanel, so there’s hope for us suede lovers yet. At the moment Primark at the moment have a navy suede pencil skirt for £10 (just in case you’ve spilt something on your £580 Gucci one).

The main advantage of suede is that it’s more interesting than plain fabric, but without requiring the same level of bravery or coordination as leather or denim. There are many ways you can work suede into your wardrobe during the winter – spring transition, which can often be an awkward one. Forget the bar crawls; I’m about to take you on the suede trail of Norwich.

‘What is suede without tassels’ seems to be the theme for Topshop’s latest designs, showcasing the classic cowgirl look. They’ve always been a fan of the classic suede ankle boot but recently have brought in a variety of suede bags and coats often partnered with as many tassels anyone could dream of. If however you’re a bit more tentative with the look, maybe start out with the suede bag rather than going straight to the full suede trench coat, but Topshop have both for you when you can be persSUEDEd.

I wouldn’t be doing suede justice if I didn’t mention the perfect suede pencil skirt and skin-tight dress that both Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner have worn. It may come as a surprise that Kylie’s suede tan dress was only £59 from Mistress Rocks. As for Kim’s Ermanno Scervino beige suede pencil skirt, you can get pretty much the same look from either ASOS or River Island at the moment for under £40. Either paired with a cute crop top or jumper, suede can work with anything, so don’t be scared of the freezing walk to a lecture or the boiling LCR.

Knee high boots have also made a huge comeback this past autumn and winter, with a vast amount of them being suede. Shoes are often worth splashing out on, but when you’re purchasing your fourth pair of ankle boots, maybe it’s time to rein it in and look at River Island’s £30 long suede boots, or New Look’s £25 suede Chelsea boots. I’m still in love with the £99 Marks and Spencer over the knee suede black boots, but there are plenty of alternatives around and there’s no need to sacrifice style for money. Like bags, boots are a great alternative if you’re not ready to go full suede, and just want a subtle pop to go with your outfit.

Whether it’s a full top-to-toe suede party, or just a small ankle boot or bag, suede can really work with any outfit. It’s been seen on Chanel and Gucci’s runways but, as I hope I have shown, suede isn’t out of reach for students! There is hope for us yet.

09/02/2016

emilyClaridge

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031