The summer has been a tricky one for the film industry. Predictably, the Olympics dented box office figures not just in the UK, but all around the globe. With people opting to watch Farah over Farrell, the studios struggled to sell tickets.

The Hollywood Reporter this month published figures that showed the major studios collectively grossed $5.154bn worldwide over the summer months, which, although a large and impressive number, is actually a 22% drop compared to the same period 11 years ago.

Despite a strong, superhero-spangled start, the summer blockbusters petered out with a string of big-budget flops. Total Recall barely managed to earn half of what it cost to make, and Battleship only returned a third of its $209m budget in North America (fortunately for Hasbro, the film found appeal in the foreign markets, managing to turn a $100m profit over the summer).

Sadly there was loss of a very different kind this summer, with the deaths of director Tony Scott and actor Michael Clarke Duncan.

The former directed a string of successful action films throughout his career, such as Top Gun, Déjà Vu and Domino. Shortly before his death he had been scouting locations with Tom Cruise for the long awaited sequel to Top Gun; it is unknown whether the film will still be made.

Michael Clarke Duncan was an Oscar nominated actor, best loved for his role as gentle-giant, John Coffey (“like the drink, only not spelt the same”) in The Green Mile.

Despite the summertime blues, it looks like 2012 will end on a cinematic high note, with new releases from Quentin Tarantino and Peter Jackson set to close out the year in style.