Climate Change, News

Sustainable Coffee Offered on UEA Campus

Coffee is that vital substance coursing through the heart of UEA. Over 35,000 cups of the stuff is sold to students and staff on campus every year. Stumbling out of a 4-hour long lab? Double espresso, please. Haven’t finished any of the set reading for the seminar starting in 10 minutes? A large mocha, extra cream. Running late to the only 9 AM lecture of the semester? A soya caramel latte, because why not. Sometimes, a coffee is the caffeine boost-come-treat to keep you going, with students and staff alike, queuing together for a little pick-me-up.

At UEA, the do-good power of coffee has now been levelled-up. As part of the wider ambition to reach ‘net zero’ on campus by 2045, Campus Kitchen is partnering with Bristol-based Bridge Coffee to bring ecologically and socially sustainable coffee across the university. From Zest to Ziggy’s, the Atrium Café to the Scholars’ Bar, Bridge Coffee’s unique ‘Blossom’ blend is now available to all students and staff. Grown by smallholder farmers in Minas Gerais region of Peru, this blend is described on the company’s website as “complex yet smooth”. Alternatively, if taste precision is more your speed, the “sweet and nutty” ‘Botanical’ blend is available at the Modern Life Café in the Sainsbury’s Centre.

If ecological sustainability wasn’t enough, every cup of the ‘Botanical’ blend bought helps to support Café Femenino – a transnational network of women that are working to empower female coffee producers across the globe. So, next time you’re on campus why not pop into the Modern Life Café and grab yourself a latte to go. Just don’t forget your reusable cup.

17/08/2021

Troy Fielder

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031