Arts, Venue

Suzanne Collins announces new novel, ‘The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes’

Since finishing Mockingjay, I have been anticipating a new novel by Suzanne Collins. I was pleasantly surprised when it came in the form of a prequel to The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. The new novel is set to be 600 pages long and features Panem, 64 years before the 75th Hunger Games! 

On seeing the cover and how symbolic it was for the Capitol and its rebels, I am excited to see what brought District 13, home of the Capitol’s nuclear arsenals, to its staged destruction, as well as the story behind the first rebellion. 

I also hope that it will shed light on the previous tributes, namely Mags, whom we got a glimpse of in Catching Fire. She was the winner of 11th year’s Hunger Games, after all. The book could explore her life in the lead-up to her victory, and how she learned to make deadly fish-hooks. 

Whatever this prequel holds in store, may the odds be ever in its favour. 

Monique Santoso

I was surprised when I heard The Hunger Games prequel announcement. Although I would consider my teenage self to have been an enormous fan of the trilogy, it was a narrative which I had left behind in those years. The chance of it resurfacing never occurred to me, particularly as the final two films seemed to fall flat upon release. I’m not of the opinion that no book series should ever be revived with a prequel, but I think Collins needs to prove to her readers why The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is a necessary addition to the collection. The success of the prequel will rely heavily on Collins’ original, and now older, fanbase, and she’ll have to tread carefully in order not to taint readers previous experiences, especially as readers are already doubtful of being dropped into the tenth Hunger Games, rather than the first.  

Ellie Robson 

22/10/2019

Monique Santoso and Ellie Robson